May 18, 2009

When past meets present

I slowed down the car near a stop sign before turning right to see if any vehicle is coming from the left. Instinctively, I looked to the right to see if there was a policeman standing. For a second I was confused as I know policemen don't stand in the middle of the roads here. Still something familiar was flashing before my eyes and superimposing itself on what I was seeing at that moment.


It was the junction right outside the present location of Pothys. When going to school, I used to pedal along Duraiswamy road and turn right onto S.Usman Road. Those were days when such earthly things were still possible in T.Nagar. There was absolutely no traffic at 8.15AM those days. A no right-turn rule was formed only a few months back but as usual rules don't apply to cyclists. Still that policeman used to give me a stare but never stopped me from turning right.

But the 'vision' didn't stop there. As I turned the car and went a few meters, immediately I thought I saw the wide and empty Usman road with the platform shops still covered with tarpaulin sheets and tied with nylon ropes to the right, and some over eager shoppers sitting outside Kumaran Silks before they open at 8.30AM. 

It took me a few minutes to erase those images and concentrate back on the driving and think about the day's work in office. It was eerie and nostalgic at the same time. But nostalgia is always depressing.

5 comments:

Filarial May 18, 2009 at 4:10:00 PM EDT  

Omg i had a similar vision of thiruvanmiyur beach last week when I was driving back home from office.. cos there was humidity in the air!... :D never had such nostalgic thots before...

Dot May 18, 2009 at 11:08:00 PM EDT  

hallucination..that's eerie! ;-)

kaushik May 19, 2009 at 2:31:00 AM EDT  

I was recently waiting for a friend at around 7 in the evening there. He was late and I thought I will go deaf...

Was in W.Mamblam for 2 or 3 years, and I have NEVER seen the pothys intersection and the road that leads to the doraisamy bridge (is that what it is called) quiet.... lucky you:p

Filarial May 19, 2009 at 1:33:00 PM EDT  

what is the difference between this and anything we say in NY i say.. :|

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chennai_Shopping.jpg

Mambalam Mani May 19, 2009 at 1:57:00 PM EDT  

@ Filarial: You will get visions only when you are drunk. Naai.
My colleague once said he doesnt like NY esp the Times Square area because of the crowd. I said I like NY esp Times Square because that is the closest resemblance in US to my Chennai. As for the difference, there are no obnoxiously large LCD tvs and hoardings of semi-nude models :(
@ Dot: No. I wan't on drugs. I cant even spell mariwaana :D
@ Kaushik: I have been there for 18 years so I have seen every stage of the change there B-)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP